The rain that Brisbane has been hogging has finally made it to New York and I got stuck in it without a brollie or rain coat. Lucky a little water won't hurt me. This week I have been doing a bit of exploring when we have finished for the day at the hospital. There is another Australian social worker staying at the apartment I am in and we hit the streets together often getting slightly lost, but eventually catching the right subway train to get home.
Last night we headed downtown to Macy's, the biggest department store (floor space) in the world. In reality it is a bit all too much, but fascinating none the less. Inspite of the variety offered by Macy's, I found an even better store....Goodwill (Op Shop) in Manhattan. On the racks were Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klien and many other designers...if only I was size 2! I have found some other bits and pieces to make the apartment a bit more comfy...radio, clothes airer, desk lamp and a couple of tops as well. All I need is to find a comfy lounge and I think I could live here for quite a while.
I should put you in the picture about the apartment I live in. The building is owned by Mt Sinai Hospital and they own many properties in the local area. Our apartment has 3 bedrooms with one person in each. We share a bathroom and the kitchen. We don't have a living room or a place to eat. We often dine on my balcony (when it is not raining!) balancing our dinners on our laps. Each room has a single bed, desk and chair, built-in wardrobe and a shelf. That's about it. So that's why I have been hunting down bits and pieces to make the place more liveable. The program provided some plates, linen and other kitchenware which scholars from previous years have acquired. I will be adding to this collection with things I have accumulated during my stay. So very basic on one level, but all your needs are met. I think if I did an Ikea makeover of my room it would be very comfortable. It certainly is big enough.
We have been getting to know some of the key people at Mt Sinai hospital this week. I have been very impressed with the level of professionalism and how open they are sharing their expertise with us. There is so much to learn, and participate in I think the 8 weeks will go very fast. The first one is all but gone.
One of the social workers who is a pioneer in health Social Work Helen Rehr, is 90 years old and still comes in a couple of days a week to work. She is such a wealth of knowledge and wisdom as well as being very generous. She is sharing with all five us in the program tickets to various events in New York. Tomorrow night Marie (other Australian Social Worker) are off to Julliard the premier school for the arts in the US to attend a concert. Helen is also organising a private tour of an art exhibition and to the Jewish Museum. MS may start to be a bit cultured...anything can happen in New York!
If the rain holds off, Marie and I are hoping to do a cycle tour through central park on Saturday! Well till next time stay happy and stay posted...
Janis
No comments:
Post a Comment