![]() |
| My vantage point view |
The past weekend I have been able to do some of the big ticks on my list of things to do while in NY. It has been great!
![]() |
| Snoopy! |
![]() |
| BYO Ladder |
Continuing in on my weekend of ticking the list, on Friday morning Margaret (my sister) and I embarked on a road trip. I believed I experienced another type of madness, particularly for someone who normally drives on the opposite side of the road and there had been forecasts of snow. This whole journey was to puruse the biggest experience on my list of "to do's" while over here.
Our first real stop in our adventurous weekend was at a place called Scaneateles. Talk about a postcard stop, the town sits on one a lake of the same name. As we entered this little township it started snowing and the magic of it all was they were having a Charles Dickens festival focused on "A Christmas Carol" with the characters dressed in period costume wondering the streets. You could not have planned it better if you had tried. ( I have been trying to upload some photo's but it is not working!!!) It was a true winter snow scene and experience. My anxiety did increase however, about the possibility of driving in the snow, this ended up being unwarranted despite all the weather forcasts indicating otherwise. A real blessing! Waking up the next day the car was blanketed in snow then that was the end of the snow show. A bit disappointing from one perspective, but ever so grateful from a driving point of view.
The next day I was able to put the big tick on my list.
Northwest of NYC is an area called the Finger Lakes district and nestled within the district is a small town called Palmyra. To those of us who belong to the Mormon faith, Palmyra has a special significance in the history of our church, because it was here we believe Joseph Smith, the first prophet of our church was visited by God and Jesus Christ and received the guidance to eventually establish the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints several years later. (http://www.mormon.org/joseph-smith/ ) Joseph grew up on a farm at Palmyra with his family till he was married. So for me, it was a spiritual pilgrimage to see and understand the circumstances of these events.
It was so cold and windy the day I visited the historical sites, I think I was the only one silly enough to brave the weather and ended up with a personlised tour of the Smith farm for my efforts. The Scared Grove where Joseph prayed was one of the most peaceful places I have been in my life. As I pondered the circumstances surrounding the events of the restoration of the gospel, I gained a deeper appreciation of those who have sacraficed so much, to enable us today to experience the blessings of the gospel in our lives. I do not believe Joseph Smith would have endured the persecution and eventual martydom if he did not know for a surety of the things which he experienced. I too have felt this surety on some level, and their are certain things I cannot deny experiencing the influence of the spirit when I read the scriptures and know of their truthfulness. Or feeling the influence and guidance of the Heavenly Father in my life. I don't understand all things, but what I do know, I find great strength and peace in my life.
We had hoped to get up to Niagra Falls over the weekend as well, however the amount of driving we had already done, made too pooped to push on. It was a wonderful weekend and thankful to my sister for coming with me even though our beliefs are different. The scariest part of driving over the weekend was returning to New York City and having to navigate through city traffic with yellow cabs driving as wildly as they normally do. I was happy to hand over the keys back to the rental company. Amazingly for me, the car did not encounter any mishaps. My track record for rental cars is horrific, I always seem to have a little bingle not necessarily invloving other cars, but scratching, knocking off a side mirror etc... It was a big sigh of relief to make it through the weekend unscathed!



Janis .... I simply LOVE your blogs!!! Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. You'll be pleased to know that we still drive on the LEFT over here and there is no snow in sight .... PLENTY of rain, but none of the white stuff. Look forward to seeing you (and more of your pics) soon.
ReplyDeletelove
Angela
ps ..... ya made me cry!!!
Hi Janis! I agree with Angela...I too simply LOVE your blogs!!! I can't wait to hear more about your NY experiences when you get back. Enjoy the rest of your time in the Big Apple!
ReplyDeleteLuv ya!
Seli
Thanks girls you are so sweet. I don't know what I am going to do when I get back to my humdrum life at home. Off to Hawaii next week for a stop over on the way home. Test out the beaches and work on my tan before I get blasted by summer at home. You'll have to come over for dinner when I get back. See ya soon!
ReplyDeleteHey Janis
ReplyDeleteSounds like you continue to live the dream :)
So happy to hear all about your wonderful adventures.
As you have seen on FB I have brought a house in Seventeen Mile Rocks... so happy and excited! (469 Seveteen Mile Rocks Rd)
I get to move in next week (21st)...can't believe it! It has been a wild ride however I feel a real sense of achievement for achieving the dream of buying my own home. A home that will become my heart space... feeeling incredibly blessed.
I'll be just down the road from Maria, Dan and Olivia which be just lovely.
Thanking of you and sending you lot sof good vibes my darling friend.
Love toyou
Lara oxo